Posted on August 05 2018
These Summer days are beautiful but it’s important to avoid overheating as that’ll ruin all the fun - here are eight easy ways to stay cool when the mercury rises:
- Drink cold or iced water. It’ll help cool you down from the inside out. Stash bottles in your freezer or add ice cubes to your drinks for instant cool. A great commuter tip: freeze a bottle overnight and take with you on your journey, it’ll stay cold the entire time and you can even rub it on your wrists and neck (pulse points) to amp up the cooling effects even more!
- Avoid the sun at its hottest, which is about 11am-3pm. It’s a simple trick but just avoiding the blazing midday heat will help keep your temperature down.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat to keep your head cool and shaded.
- Try adding a swim to your weekly or daily routine. Starting the day with a cooling dip rather than a sweaty HIIT workout is another great way to keep your temperature more moderate. A calming yoga session in a well ventilated room is another good way to stay calm and cool as it helps regulate your breathing.
- Try to eat small regular meals rather than enormous ones. Metabolising your food creates heat, with big meals creating more heat than smaller ones; so opting for smaller regular meals can help manage your temperature too.
- Dress smart! Whether it's a light cotton dresses or playsuits, or a vest and shorts, beating the heat can be as simple as dressing the part. When it comes to your workout wardrobe, you can make savvy choices there too: choose breathable, sweat-wicking fabrics to stay cool. Our Supermodern Mesh Top is a great summer choice and works well layered with a bright bra, like our Seamless Crop Top in lime, for support.
- Cool your tootsies - ideally in a paddling pool! Like your wrists, there are lots of pulse points on your feet and keeping them cool will in turn help the rest of you cool down. We've been known to rush in from work and dunk our feet straight in the pool - much to the amusement of the rest of the family, and our dog!
- While it's hot during the day, keep windows shut and blinds and curtains drawn. As it cools down at night (hopefully) open them up for ventilation and to let cooler air in.